Thursday, June 09, 2016

A Glimpse Inside

You showed me, O Lord,
Gently
Without warning
Clearly
Now was the time 
To plant self fully

I felt
Surprise - here isn't home to me?
Awe - permission? for that?!
Awakening - I never did give fully, did I?
Excitement - God at work in me for more
Fear - once given, heart cannot be retracted

Trembly, tentatively
I walked and explored in me
For what this might mean
Soberly, trustingly
Unfolded my roots
Began to dig in

A living lilac - 
A birthday "surprise" - 
Daily testimony of
This new inner resolve
Transplanted 
Outside my door

What's this?!
Transplant shock?
Isn't this supposed to be good?
Joy?
Freedom?
Growth?

Like the lilac
My budding blooms
Shrivel and fall before fullness
My leaves wilt
My roots hesitate
To take the room given for growth

The things I looked at in hope
Seeing the good of home
Fruitful possibilities
Snatched away
Broken off
Just as they were beginning to bloom

Fear creeps in:
"None can be trusted"
"The pain is too much - not worth it"
Panic blurts:
"I can't do this!"
"What have I done?!"

Classic, I know
But how to bear the pain?
To what can I cling?
Where is my hope?
It is You who brings the pain
Where does that leave me?

Among the many who
Have found God more than enough
In all sorts of tough situations
With a loving God
Who has placed the boundary lines 
For me in pleasant places

Surely I have a delightful inheritance
I will trust in the Lord
And do good
I will dwell in the land
And enjoy safe pasture
(Psalm 16, 37)

No comments:

Post a Comment