Grace and I have been looking at poetry quite a bit in school these days. Getting her to write is hard work, but what she comes up with is really quite good. I've been meaning to show her some of the poems I wrote way back when and some Imma wrote - just to show her some examples of different types in a more close-to-home way so she might be encouraged that she, too, can write.
So I dug some out today. And, in reading them through, have been struck about how many are about belonging... proof enough that I am a TCK and struggled through all the typical feelings of many comings and goings, I guess.
No one's here.
It's quiet.
Empty.
Silent.
No one's ever been.
No one's coming.
And it's
Longing
To belong.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm a city slick and country hick
A seafarer and a landlubber
A wild thing, a sophisticated snit
I'm a kid and an adult
British, Canadian,
Argyler and stranger
Rambunctious or introverted
Both slap dash and methodical
A dreamer, a doer
... Who is this Liz?
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joyful anticipation
Crawling time
Arrivals!
Nervous love
Loaded gestures
Broken ice
Party!
Melding times
Pricking reminders
Bittersweet joy
Company!
Spirit oneness
Quiet peace
Love overflowing
Contentment!
Time out run
Lingering farewells
reluctant partings
Bereft!
Sad stillness
Confused thoughts
Roiling feelings
Aftermath!
~~~~~~~~~~~
My path is long
The day is short
I call for a friend
For I am all alone.
I call for a friend
Only to be snubbed
Because to them I am no one
And I have gone on alone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Success?
None of the wild abandonment
None of that tired contentment
Yet
Enjoyment of friends
No belittling feelings
No awkwardness
Is it because we've all grown or just I alone?
What does it matter?
To whom do I belong?
Among the boys?
With the kids?
Beside the adults?
Who is Liz?
It is neat to see which ones still apply, and which are simply a great way to see how far God has brought me - and how wonderfully good He has been to me!
No comments:
Post a Comment