Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Running Contrasts

Last year in Canada                                         This year in Malaysia
40-50% humidity  average                              80-90% humidity average
Temperature mild spring/early summer          Temperature hovering near 30C
Between 6-7am start to beat the heat              5:30pm or later start time, once the day is cooling
 (and to make sure it gets done!)                      (can't do the mornings as I often have to go to market)
Usually alone                                                  With Grace
Don't usually meet anyone                             Share the road with fair number of walkers and runners
Run in one big loop of 5 km                           Run laps on a bit of dead end road behind our apartment
Listen to morning bird song                           Listen to evening monkey chatter
Less than ½ my run uphill                             More than ½ my run is uphill (much steeper too!)
5km came pretty easily                                  5km comes with complaining hamstrings from the uphill
I was reasonably aiming for 30min                I'm a loonngg way from 5k in 30 min right now...
I end with a completely red face                    I'm completely red-faced by the 1km mark
A time to sort the day out                               A time to review the day

I miss the cooler running environment and the morning starts.
I'm happy to have the weather consistency to run regularly.
I miss having a long route to run - more interesting.
I'm intrigued to be able to observe monkey family habits and new birds.
I miss running alone with my thoughts.
I'm happy that Grace is interested and wanting to run with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment