Wednesday, January 21, 2015

When I was Eight

When I was eight
I ran barefoot
wild with joy 
Spring finally here
through still frozen mud

Grace is eight
she dances barefoot
across the pathways
our house to Imma's
over frozen gravel

When I was eight
I rescued a baby mouse
on the way to school
Kept it in my sock in my desk  
It didn't survive more than a day

Grace is eight
 Survived a few days
but living with us was just too much

When I was eight
I traveled by plane
Canada to England
and by car and train
to visit family

 Grace is eight
She traveled 
by car, train, and plane
Malaysia to Canada
to visit family

When I was eight
my hair was short
shorn as required by school
a lice epidemic measure
dreaming of long hair again

Grace is eight
Her hair is long
Only ever been cut once
She cried 
when I cut my hair short

When I was eight
I was outside more than in
Exploring, climbing, biking, playing
called home for meals
by the blast of a whislte

Grace is eight
Inside more than out
Reading, playing, climbing
Coaxed outside reluctantly
But loves it when we go

When I was eight
I read loads of books
Puzzled with codes
Wrote lots of stories
in my own made up language

Grace is eight
She reads loads of books
Puzzles over computer code
Resists writing them down
But loves to tell/draw stories

When I was eight
a home video was rare
TV's were small
Computers just making a debut
into family homes

Grace is eight
She can watch just about anything
any time, any where
(if she were allowed!)
Screen time is engrained in life

When I was eight
Computers were boring
Difficult.  Mysterious.
I could make it type "hello"
and color the screen blue

Grace is eight
Computers are fun
A world of endless possibility
Complex. Familiar.



No comments:

Post a Comment