Monday, May 30, 2011

I was feeling grubby with city living.
Tired of air you can taste and see.
Bothered by the inescapable noise:
Traffic, sirens, generators.
Dreary with the constant humidity,
Frequent downpours.
Achingly missing
Soft greens and blues,
Quietness of our Canada home.
I got ready for bed and flopped down,
Arranging the pillows to try block out the city drone.
That night the sound was extra loud - even pillows didn't muffle the noise.
I was grumbling to myself and whining to God,
Then I recognized the sound I was trying to block out:
A mighty chorus of peepers - a sound straight from my childhood home far from any city.
So I went to sleep with the sounds of the city drowned out by a colony of frantic peepers seemingly right outside our window...
A love-gift from a tender-hearted Father indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment